A LESSON IN GREATNESS
Once a man approached the Holy Prophet (Salallaahu alaihi wasallam) and asked a number of questions as to how he could achieve greatness in this and the next world. We give below a gist of the answers given by the Holy Prophet (Salallaahu alaihi wasallam) in the hope that it will be a source of inspiration to our readers, who would not doubt like to try afresh and make a resolve to learn a lesson from the teachings of the Prophet (Salallaahu alaihi wasallam). The Prophet advised the visitor that he could be a great man -
1. By fearing Allaah for the gates of knowledge and wisdom open up for those who fear Him and obey His commands.
2. By doing good to all.
3. By remembering Allaah the most as he would then be nearest to Him.
4. By doing justice to others in choosing for them what he liked for his own self.
5. By improving more and more his moral conduct and social habits as these would perfect his Faith.
6. By doing all that is enjoined by Allaah as that would make him a dutiful servant of Allaah.
7. By avoiding acts of injustice and unkindness as he would then be blessed with a heavenly light on the Day of Resurrection.
8. By asking for more and more forgiveness of Allaah as that would save him from sins.
9. By remaining steadfast in difficulties, and patient in tests and trials and never complaining about Allaah as that would make him extremely noble.
10. By keeping clean in body and mind, that would bring him prosperity.
11. By remembering in his prayers that he was in the presence of Allaah, it would impart excellence to his performance.
12. By loving all that is dear to Allaah and abhorring all that is forbidden by Allaah and His Prophet (Salallaahu alaihi wasallam) as that would make him a friend of Allaah and his Prophet.